Employment and Paid Opportunities
UNITED CHURCH OF CHAPEL HILL – Music Leader for Bilingual Congregation
United Church of Chapel Hill seeks a music leader for their contemporary bilingual (Spanish/ English) service. The ideal candidate will be a strong pianist or guitarist and a competent singer, who enjoys leading and working with other instrumentalists and singers, as well as developing and leading congregational song. The pay for this position is $10,400 per annum, to cover one service per Sunday, including preparation and rehearsal. Further details and contact information can be found at https://unitedchurch.org/careers/
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox – Choir Director Opportunity
We seek a Choir Director who will lead our choir of 15-20 volunteer singers each Sunday and on special holidays (Holy Week, etc.) in singing the Divine Liturgy. In many ways, the hymns that the choirs sing during church services, particularly during the Divine Liturgy, have roots in Byzantine Chant. As the church became established through the Byzantine Empire, the music also evolved. Today, each church service incorporates both – chanting and choral music. Orthodox Christians understand that music is an expression of our beliefs. It also offers a way to communicate with God. As the ultimate form of worship, the entire congregation is called to sing right along with the chanters and choir. In this way, music enables the service to come alive.
This position reports jointly to the Priest (Father Paul Christy) and Holy Trinity’s Parish Council. A typical week is 10-15 hours with additional hours during Orthodox Easter and Christmas seasons, and the schedule is flexible outside of services and rehearsals.
The anticipated pay for the position is $22,000 annually and this is a 10.5 month position.
For more information on Holy Trinity, visit: https://www.holytrinityraleigh.org/community/visitor-information.
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church Choir Director Job Description:
• Direct the choir and organist for the following services and rehearsals:
o All Sunday liturgies between mid-August and Pentecost (dates vary by year)
o All choir rehearsals (most Sundays from 9-9:40 AM)
o 1-2 Presanctified Liturgies per year (or more as choir members are available)
o Holy Week services (Orthodox calendar)
o Christmas Eve, Christmas Pageant and Dress Rehearsal
o All choir retreats (2-5 per year, typically Saturday afternoons)
o Christmas Pageant Dress Rehearsal
• In consultation with, and approval of, the Parish Priest, in accordance with the standards of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, select the liturgical arrangements and the language (Greek or English) in which they are to be sung by the choir
• Communicate with the organist regarding repertoire and rehearsal schedule
• Discuss all special services (Holy Cross, Procession of the Icons, Kneeling Service of Pentecost, etc.) with priest and chanters in advance
• Coordinate with AV Broadcast team to advise on sound equipment, troubleshooting, copyright/broadcast rights, and recording needs
• Coordinate the Christmas Pageant script and music with priest, School Supervisor, and Children’s Choir Director
• Support participation in the National Forum and Southeast Federation of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians, manage dues and other administrative duties associated with Forum and Federation membership
• Manage choral music library, liturgical folders, pageant folders, and special service folders; select and purchase new music
• Maintain roster and email listserv
• Maintain a small choir budget, robes, equipment, organ maintenance, and storage
• Provide occasional music for special events, such as funerals for former choir members
• Arrange for substitutes as needed, with assistance from organist as appropriate
Skills and Experience: Ability and experience in leading a group of volunteer singers, Experience working with clergy, Some accompanying experience (not required), Finale or other music software (not required)
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
St. Stephen’s Choir is an ensemble of around 20 singers of all ages and abilities. We are seeking a tenor for a paid position. One service on Sunday at 10;15 and rehearsal on Wednesday evening, 7-8:30. There would be an audition. We are looking for a excellent sight-reading skills and a good voice. The position pays $125.00 per week.
Some knowledge of styles would be helpful. We sing everything from English Cathedral rep to early polyphony. We are looking for someone who will want to be here, not just a gig singer.
Submit Your Listing
TriangleSings will post jobs that are of interest to the local, vocal community of the Triangle, Triad and surrounding areas. Rates are just $75 per month ($15/week thereafter), which includes being part of our weekly e-newsletter that goes out to over 2,000 subscribers and two social media announcements.